Friday, October 25, 2019

Filming of the Commercial

   On Thursday me and my partner Preace filmed our scenes for our Gatorade commercial. On that day I had forgotten to bring shorts to wear for the filming and me and Preace were both wearing jeans, outfits that do not really match the aesthetic of exercise. Anyways, I had to go borrow my friend Orayn's shorts as he was on the football team. I had to admit we were somewhat unprepared for this filming as we only bought the Gatorade bottle the day of from one of our school's vending machines. But we quickly picked up our surroundings and seriously came up and executed great filming ideas as the day went on.
   We checked into our classroom and got our camera, tripod, and SD card. We then headed out to our track field to film our shots as the setting would be an athlete training on a track. As we arrived to the track, many of our other classmates had the same idea to film at the filed which lead to quiet a lot of commotion. Based on our storyboard, we followed most of the drawn out scenes to the teeth. Our first shot was the establishing shot which pictured me sprinting at full speed as the camera tracked my movement. We initially wanted to do a tracking shot, however, we realized that it incredibly hard to do without the proper equipment and a conventional use of a skateboard wouldn't work as it wouldn't go fast enough. We took multiple takes of each shot to make sure we have a variety before we dumped it into the computers. The second shot we took was a close up of me running and the camera would zoom into my face to show my expression. This shot took a while. Yes, we had tripods, but getting the zooming to be smooth took a lot of trial and error. We finally got our shot to as close as perfection and continued on with our shoot. Fun fact, the Gatorade bottle we bought had a huge dent on one side of the bottle. Therefore, for every shot we had to carefully make sure that the pristine side was showing. On the bright side the humid Floridan weather gave the bottle a nice watery tint to it as water droplets formed around the bottle. The shot with the camera parallel to the bottle lying on the ground was done by me laying flat down on the hot track angling the camera angle; not to mention that day was a solid 98 degrees outside full sunshine. I can now officially appreciated the trouble filmmakers go through.
   During our filming of our last few scenes, our camera died halfway through a shot. Frustratingly, we had to run back to our classroom to tell our teacher we needed extra time as class had ended by then. They allowed us a couple of minutes to continues filming the next Monday and we quickly dumped our footage into the computer and went on to our next class.
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment